Tuesday 1 May 2012

My first Vappu! (4 years ago)

I moved to Finland in March 2008.

Finland was snowed, cold, wet, dark, grey (brown at best), silent and empty (of people that is). And those people who were in the streets were shy, silent, minding their own business, not getting any close, respecting their personal space and not very lively.

Lappeenranta, February 2012

Anyway, that's the picture I gave to my sister who came to visit me in April. To be precise in the last day of April, vappuaatto (May day's eve). I kind of knew about the Vappu celebration but not really, so we went to Esplanadi in Helsinki.

The sun was shining, the air was warm, the streets were full, people were having fun, students with their colorful overalls, people wearing the student caps (or not wearing them yet if they are teekkarit as they wait until midnight), everybody smiling, bottles of sparking in hand (lots of cava!, Codorniu and Freixenet are definitely happy with the celebration) and you can feel the joy and fun!

To me Vappu, in addition of being a reminder of credibility lost with my sister, marks the beginning of the summer season. And if you're lucky enough, it starts with self made munkki! I recommend drinking sima with them.

Self made munkki by family. I'm happy to eat them! :)


And for those who didn't know, summers in Finland are perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment