Wednesday 4 July 2012

The Left Shoe Company (I also got the right one)

In Finland there is the tradition of the huomenlahja. The newly weds, after the wedding night (that is the morning after) give presents to each other. The origin of the tradition comes from far, when the husband's gift would secure the widow's life in case of death of the husband; that could be money, or a cow.

Nowadays however, they are just presents. Or, are they?

Presents always feel nicer when there is a surprise element, they are unique or the receiving end really likes what he or she gets. Well, I happen to like shoes; and personalized items; and I had no idea what was I getting as a huomenlahja from my, now it's official, wife :)

And there she hands me an envelope that read The Left Shoe Company. It was a gift card. For those who are puzzled now, let me explain.



They are a Finnish company established in 1998 with stores in Finland, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland and Japan and they make shoes made to measure. So how it works? In the store they will make a 3D profile of your feet (both of them) by using a 3D scanner. Then you'll enter your personal information, and your customer profile is ready!

You can order then your shoes online, or in the stores. They say they are ready in seven weeks, but in my experience it takes just three weeks, and that's just fantastic service!

There are over thirty (30, three-zero) different models, and in each one of them a range of colors (15 to 30 different leathers, suede or nobuck) and soles (4 or 5) to combine. Choosing was tough... but I did it.



Unsurprisingly the shoe fits to perfection. That matters especially when it isn't easy to find shoes. People out there with 46 or bigger size know what I'm talking about. And I have extra flat feet... so since I don't have arch at all, many shoes bother there. These are just perfect. Let me say it again: made to measure.

So, we've got the surprise element. We've covered that I do like shoes (plus they're difficult to find for me).  And they are definitely personalized! And still, there was another amazing detail.

Not only my name, but also a reminder of the occasion!

Best. Gift. Ever!

1 comment: